Monday, October 10, 2005

Stadium Notes

If you're a fan who's ignorant about the terminology of the game. It might be a good idea to keep your mouth shut. An idiot behind me last night keeps yelling to Sheff "we need a can 'o corn to score this run, Gary. Come on!!". For those of you who don't know, a can o' corn is a term used for a routine fly ball. It was bases loaded, two out. Unless the rules changed and we had four outs not three, I think that a routine fly ball would have fallen short of "getting it done." When I explained to him his mistake, this exchange ensued:

Fan: I thought a can o corn was a bloop.
Darth Marc: No, it's a routine fly ball.
Fan: Then what do you call a bloop?
Darth Marc: You call a bloop a bloop.
Fan: Oh...thanks.


Normally, I wouldn't be as hard on someone who doesn't know the rules and terminology. But when you're being as loud and as obnoxious as he was (I almost turned around and smacked him when he called Matsui "Duck Sauce.") he needed a muzzle.

Speaking of fans, it was hilarious to see the crowd boo Randy Johnson's image everytime it up on screen...for PSA, a Yankee Trivia question, a picture in Match Game...everytime his ugly mug came on the screen he got booed. And it will be that way until he gets a chance to redeem himself and win a playoff game. Hey, if you stink it up the way he did, he deserves anything he gets.

I've been pretty hard on Jorge Posada over the years, but I have to say, this was maybe the best all-around game that I've ever seen him play. Getting hits, drawing a walk in a crucial situation and then running to third base after Guerrero threw home to nail Cano. He also picked off two runners and called another excellent game. Jorgie gets criticized often for not blocking the plate as well as Pudge and other receivers. He's also come up short in the clutch at the plate at times. But he's still one of the best all-around catchers in baseball. Now if only the Big Onion got over himself and got a clue. I like Flaherty, but we need Posada's bat in the lineup.

Bernie Williams is my favorite Yankee from this entire run and one of my favorite players ever. And as much as I loved all standings o's and chanting for him last night, it sounded a bit defeatist to me. Like we can't pull this thing out. If the score 10-0 in the eighth, fine, I can understand why you're doing that. But 2-0 in the sixth? I understand the intent, but the timing was a bit off.


I've come to the conclusion recently that there are some people who through no fault of their own are just going to rub people the wrong way. A-Rod is one of those guys. People hate him because of his talent, his money, his metrosexual-image conscious ways. Now Met/Jet fans have another reason to hate his guts. The reason he wears number 13 is honor his hero....



Dan Marino!!!!


Wow...like Metstradamus needs another reason to rant.

Yuengling is Jinx beer. That's right, jinx beer. A friend was good enough to buy me a Yuengling last night, and as soon as I sip the beer ,the Angels start scoring!! That beer stayed under my chair untouched for the rest of the game. So to all members of the Empire...Yuengling at the stadium...very bad.

Die or die tonight boys....I've got a whole booklet of playoff tickets that I'd love to use. Hopefully, they won't become souvenirs like Red Sox 1986 World Champions T-Shirts.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Uncle Buck said...

A-Fraud will get his wish to be like #13, lots of praise, ZERO rings...

3:19 AM  
Blogger Mets Guy in Michigan said...

Do or die....that would be die! Wait until next year, Marc!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Darth Marc said...

For you Mutt fan...it's always next year...

As for you Aunt Buck...I bet you A-Rod get his first ring before the Sux see their next...see you in 2090...

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home