Monday, July 24, 2006

Thank You Reggie....

For adding some perspective to this A-Rod affair.

It's just a shame that you had to do it through Lupica. But an excellent column nonetheless.

If any of you want to read about what Reggie had through with Billy Martin and the Bronx Zoo of the late seventies, read Roger Kahn's book, October Men.

Roger Kahn has been called the Dean of Baseball Writers. Read this, as well as his classic, The Boys Of Summer, and you'll see why. Great stuff.

Speaking of classics, I'm listening to Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak off of Napster. Where the hell have I been? That band was hot! The only song that I ever of there's was "Boys are Back In Town". That song is alright, but Jailbreak is sick.

What can I say? Even though I listened to Rock music in high school, none of my headbanger friends were into Thin Lizzy and even though he was black, they sure as hell didn't play Lynott and company on WBLS.

I'm pretty secure in my knowledge of music, but damn, I don't know how I missed this one. Good shit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ed in Westchester said...

You know, part of me is glad Yankee fans are booing A-Rod. They are showing themselves to be the bandwagon jumpers they are.
The guy, despite the hype, had more than half of his RBI with RISP, and nearly half of his HR in that spot. The guys is the reigning AL MVP for pete's sake.

Is he making errors, sure, but remember, he is a natural (and possibly the best) SS. He moved because Jeter refused to, even though A-Rod is better at the position.

What kills me is the amount of press the booing gets. Five minutes on Sportscenter the other day, half of the 8th inning during the Met game on Fix Saturday (note to TIm and Joe, we Met fans don't want to hear about A-Rod during a Met game, talk about the game we are watching).
These fans are giving the true NY baseball fan a bad name.

And yeah, I know, we booed Beltran. He deserved it last year, he stunk. He did not deserve it this season, it was wrong.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

There are some of us who never jumped on the A-rod bandwagon in the first place. (Sorry Darth Marc.) I always knew A-rod was a natural, a great short, and one of the best baseball players ever, but I never, ever, ever was deluded into thinking he'd be a great Yankee. He doesn't embody "Yankee-ness" to me. He's not a team player. He's not a class act. I think he's a bit of a cancer and I'd (this is harsh) be okay to see him go.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home