Wednesday, April 12, 2006

When Captain America Swings His Mighty Bat....


Yankees win home openers...

Tickets were still available, believe it or not, for the Yankees Home Opener as late as 10 am Tuesday morning.

I was debating all Monday night and Tuesday morning on whether or not I should go. I decided not to at the last minute because I had some guys doing some much needed repairs in my apartment. I figured that I would be cutting it too close.

Damn, Damn, Damn!!

I don't need to tell you all how embarassing it would have been to lose the home opener to the Royals. We haven't lost a home opener since 1997. Not a good way to start the season. Thankfully, Captain America and the Avengers didn't let it happen.

I know that I sound like a broken record talking about pitch counts, but I truly believe that that's going to be the difference this year. Even if hitters are off their game, good things can still happen by guys walking and setting the table for the next guy. It forces the pitcher to throw strikes. And when a good hitter knows that a pitcher has to throw a strike, it's bad news for the pitcher. Yesterday was a perfect example of this. The Yankees were hardly efficient at the plate. They left men on base like Shawn Kemp leaves Baby Mamas. But they were able to break through because of their patience at the plate. Good win despite the Wang'ers inability to pitch with a lead.

If this was a one time thing, I'd leave it alone. But he seems to pitch better in tight games than in ones where the Yankees give him a comfortable lead. Some pitchers are like that. Moose seems to pitch better when it's 2-1 or 1-0 then when he has a 10-1 lead. Not to say that that's a bad thing. But it's nice to know someone thrive in prosperity and not just when bullets are whizzing are over their head.

If this were the Twins or Pirates, knowing how to pitch with 2-1 would be commonplace. But on a team like this, he has to learn how to with a 5-0 lead in the first inning as well. Sturtze was horrible. I know they say that he's fine this year, but he's simply not throwing as hard or as aggressively as he did in 2004. I'm hoping he's just working out the kinks, otherwise his stay here will be shortlived.

Chacon is on the mound today and I'll be in attendance. Hopefully, the Avengers don't have to go and fight Galactus or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home