Friday, October 20, 2006

Metsnarok Is Here!!!!

"The bottom line is this. [The Mets] are the red-headed step-children in this town until further notice. Deal with it."

-Darth Marc, July 13, 2006




The Team, The Time, The Choke.


Struggle all you want, infidels, trying to find a silver lining in all of this.

Here's the reality of the situation. You lost to a team that won 83 games in a year where the National League was absolutely putrid. Jeff Weaver? Anthony Wainright? Yadier Molina?

Even with your pitching problems, you should have plowed through St. Louis like Sherman through Atlanta. Instead, you let Tony LaRussa and company become the National League's sacrificial lambs in the Fall Classic.

Instead of moving the runners over with a bunt, Willie Randolph must have thought Cliff Floyd had some Kirk Gibson in him.

Debbie Gibson, maybe. Kirk Gibson? Not likely.

This is like that mid-major team who has agreat season, loses in their conference tourney and whines about not getting into Big Tournament. If you couldn't beat South Idaho state, how can we expect that you'll beat Duke or UNC?

I've been accused of being condescending to the Senior Circuit. I only called it like I saw it. The American League was by far the superior league and it showed during interleague and the playoffs.

While the Senior Circuit only had one team with over 90 wins in their final four...The American League had one team with 90 wins that was on the outside looking in and three others who didn't make it that had better records than the National League champs.

Am I pissed off that the Yankees lost to Tiggers? Hell yes! Should we have beaten them. Hell yeah. But Detroit was the best team in baseball for much of the year and despite playing awful down the stretch...still had the pitching to shut anyone down and turn things around quickly.

That's what happened with us in 2000. We lost seven in a row but came back and won the World Series. Why? Pitching, pitching, pitching. When you have four quality starters and a bullpen, you always have a chance. That's what Detroit had and that's why they won.

The Cardinals and Mets? That had to be worst group of starters in the history of the LCS.

But the Mets had the superior lineup and bullpen. They also had homefield. Both teams were missing key pitchers. The Mets were missing Pedro and Duque. The Cards, Mulder and Isringhausen. No excuses.

You're no longer the underdogs Scions of Shea. You can't say that this was a great season when you lose to a 83 win team in seven games in your own house. You're no longer an underdog when you play in the largest media market and you're in the top five in payroll. Didn't work for Sux Nation, won't work for you.

I have no problem with high expectations for my team. But I love baseball and the Yankees to get so upset when we don't lose that I don't come back. I know we can't win every year, but I know as long as we're in the playoff conversation every year, we have a chance.

Do this for decade like us or 14 like the Braves and get back to me.

Your silver lining is covered in Cardinal s**t. You've just spawned another 15 books about Tony LaRussa. Thanks a lot, guys.

But I can deal with "Three Days In June, September, May.." whatever, as long as I know one thing.

This is still a Yankee town. Until further notice. Redheads take note.

Just like Ragnarok signals the end of the world in Norse Mythology. Metsnarok signals the end of another failed Mets campaign. This is even worse than 1988. At least that team had Hershiser.

Oh glorious!! I could kiss a fat girl right now!!!


Hi Joe, Hi Ed.....

9 Comments:

Blogger Metstradamus said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Ed in Westchester said...

I need a little help, that I think only you can provide. You see, my team lost to an underdog. Considering your team's recent history in that regard (last year to the Angels, this year to the Tigger's, 2003 to the Wild Card Marlins, 2002 to the Angels, 2001 to the D-Backs (where the Great Mariano choked it away), oh, I almost forgot the BIGGEST CHOKE EVER in 2004 to the Red Sox), how do I deal with this? Provide some wisdom, please.

I said nothing when the Yanks went out, simply because it was not a concern for me. I do not worry about the Yankees. You seem to worry a tad about the Mets though. You railed about this earlier this year, that Met fans worry more about the Yanks than their own team. It seems ironic that you have spent the past few days doing the obssessing. Oh, I know it is all in "good fun". I just find it amusing. Pot, meet kettle.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Darth Marc said...

Funny, I thought that I was shunned....


Rascal,

I quoted myself because on Toasty Joe's blog recently, he used that quote of mine on his blog to throw in my face after the Yanks were eliminated. And since it proved to be true, I thought that I would use it again. Are you caught up now?

Every bomb I've thrown has served a purpose.

And please Ed, I like you and your writing, but don't act as if you're innocent in this whole affair. You came out of nowhere tossing digs at me on my blog and your hero Metstras. All is fair in love and war. I'm cool with it But now, you and yours are fair game. Don't act as if you had swept the Cards and made it to the World Series that you and your ilk wouldn't have been dogging me until the second coming. I've been down this road with your kind. You're not to be trusted.

So you might as well fire the first salvo and get this thing started on your terms rather than someone else's. Nothing personal. But I play to win.

I think what irks you the most about me is that as much as you like, you can't paint me as some Yankee fan that knows nothing about baseball. Arrogant and obnoxious, yes. Ignorant. Never.

So when I say something about your team or your league that offends you, it not only irks you because of the tone and tenor, it irks you because more often than not it's right.

You can use knowledge as a scalpel or a sword. And I loved Voltron and He-Man as a child....

9:00 AM  
Blogger Ed in Westchester said...

Oh, I know you are not ignorant. You do know a lot. I also can't help but think that you spent an inordinate amount of time coming up with your post here (nice research by the way, Norse Gods?)

I claim no innocence. I posted in the past, here and on Metstra, this is true, usually in response to a post of yours. But notice, I did no gloating when the Yanks lost. My comment was "I am at a loss for words" IIRC. I truly hoped that the two teams would meet in the WS. But once your vaunted "best offense ever" was defeated, they were no longer a concern.

Now, might I have posted something had the Mets won, perhaps. But considering the seeding you had done over the past few days, it would have been justified, as I am sure you will agree. Arrogant and obnoxious you are, I grant you that, and that is what many Yankee fans I know are.

I too like your writing. When you are not being a prick that is :)

Oh, Voltron? He-Man? Jeez... Are you waiting with baited breath the Transformers movie also?

10:10 AM  
Blogger Darth Marc said...

Not really....

All this stuff is literally off the top of my head. A good and bad thing I know. Not much time at all goes into this. I see something, I write it.

It's probably the main reason why my blog isn't as good as Metstra's. I happen to know that aside from being a sports junkie, that he also puts a lot of time and effort into his blog. And it shows. He could probably make a lot of money on it. But he chooses not to.

You guys are just mad that I beat you to the punch and decided to twist the dagger when I get there. You have to understand that this is all fun for me. None of this is personal. I enjoy your digs at me as much as you do. More even.

For the record, I deserve everything I get from here on in. No quarter asked, none given.

And yes, I'm waiting with baited breath for the Transformers movie.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Ed in Westchester said...

well shit, you could have fooled me on the time, given that you referred to a Norse god of some shit.

I think what really irked me and others was the comment was done right after the game. Made you look like a vulture. Even my little comment was posted the next morning.

Fun is fun, but it played right into the stereotype of Yankee fans being obnoxious assholes.

Oh, I enjoy this too, don't get me wrong. I try to have fun with it, and try not to do the old "asshole" stuff. I try to be a little more crewative. I'm not always successful, but anyone can tell someone fu over the internet. It's not that original.

Enjoy the offseason. I'm sure when the Zito sweepstakes heat up, and the Matzayuka (sp) bidding starts, it will be fun.

How the Big Eunuch feeling?

Will Giambi be able to administer his shots after his surgery, or will Sheffield do it for him?

And I really hope you guys are stupid enough to trade A-643. He will blossom elsewhere, but there is little chance of getting equal value back.

Oh, and the Rangers suck, just in case you are a big fan.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Darth Marc said...

I'll take your suggestions under advisement....

10:04 AM  
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

Whew! There's not a lot of love flying around this blog for Darth Marc, is there?

Is it Spring Training yet? I'm bored with this world series already and it's only been game 1.

Sigh.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Darth Marc said...

Take a look at my latest post. More hate to come....

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home