Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day Madness

In honor of our country's war-dead, I'm wearing my NY Knicks number 8 Latrell Sprewell jersey. Because his likes will not be seen in this town ever again.

A very eventful weekend for yours truly. It started with a very wet night at the Stadium Friday. Seeing Jeter's 2000th and 2001st hit was pretty cool (Derek got a chuckle on second base when they played the movie theme to 2001 after the second hit), but the hour long rain delay put a damper (pun intended) on things. I hate leaving games early, so against my better judgement, I stuck around through the friggin' monsoon and watched the Bombers fall a run short in their rally.

I had great company as Imperial Vixens K-Bisch and Erica stuck around as well. But I paid the price the next morning as I had to get up early to get my rental car and head not to one, but two weddings.

Anyone who knows me knows that I hate weddings. But when one of your oldest friends and one of your best Yankee buddies (neither of whom know each other) decide to tie the knot on the same day, you have to find a way to be there. Even if one is near Garden City, Long Island and the other is near Poughkeepsie.

Who needs sleep? Sleep is for pussies!!

Well call me Clit-boy, because I was wiped out come Sunday night. Dead to the world.

Needless to say, I missed both weekend games so I have nothing useful to say about either. From what I've read, it seems like A-Rod's starting to get into a groove and Wang pitched ok on Saturday. And Proctor hit a wall on Sunday but Farnsworth and Mo bailed him out on Sunday. I would liked a sweep, but as long as we're continuing to win series, I'm cool.

Let me ask you this folks. Does it make you gay if you're thoroughly enjoying Kelly Clarkson in the car on the way home from a road trip? And is the guy (a married man)who burned the CD for you gay as well?

If the answer is yes...then I might have to change my name to Darthy Cakes.

If you see me posting about Jeter's ass and how I now love Pink Yankee hats because it brings out the color in my eyes.....shoot me. Don't say anything. Just the gun in my mouth and pull the trigger. The world will be a better place without me.

Everyone keeps saying the Tigers series is a litmus test for the Yankees. Huh? Yes, they have the best record in the majors right now. But when they play in a division where one other team is over .500 and includes the Royals...well call me a cynic, but I'm not ready to declare them world-beaters yet. I knew they had talent and that they would be a better team with Jim Leyland at the helm. But it remains to be seen if they're really among the league elite.

So for obvious reasons, it was important for Unit to pitch well today. Bonderman is their ace. You beat him in the opening game, it sends a message to them and the rest of the league.

Message sent....thank you for calling, Goodbye.

Obviously, one good start doesn't make a season. But it is something you can build on. What I loved about Johnson was his use of his fastball. He was throwing inside and out, using his cut fastball as a changeup. He was pitching, not throwing. He mixed in his slider on occasion, but he didn't fall in love with it. He realized that his best pitch is his fastball and used that to work in everything else. He also was backing guys off the plate which is something we haven't seen in awhile.

He can't hit 98-99 anymore consistently. But he can still hit 94-96 on regular basis. And if you hit your spots and locate well, that's more than enough to get guys out. He's finally realizing that he doesn't have strike out 12 to win anymore. When Sandy Koufax's curve wasn't working, he went with the fastball and still won games with it. This is a different era obviously, but it's tough to hit a 96 mph heater with movementin 2006 as it was in 1966.

The fact that he did this against the "best team in baseball" in their home park was a bonus. The Yankees have to start playing their game. If they play how they're capable, the opponent is irrelevant. The outcome will be the same.

Darthy Cakes needs sleep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Secret Mommy said...

I've been missin' a lot o' Yank games lately, too, so I feel your pain. And since I'm not in New York, it's harder to get good news post-game.

Clit-boy. Has a funny ring to it. :-)

I don't know if it's gay to enjoy Kelly Clarkson, but I must say I was shocked to hear that someone mixed you a CD with Kelly Clarkson on it and that someone was a man. :-) Just kidding. My fiance bought a Pink cd a couple years ago and made me swear to never tell anyone. Ooops.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Darth Marc said...

I can see that I'm going to have a hard time living this down...lol...

3:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home